Pages

Friday 12 October 2012

Character Development - Luke

Yo Luke here, writing in to update with the work I've done so far in regard to character designs.

For starters, tried coming up with a few different outlines of body shapes showing different poses and came up with 3 different one: 2 showing attack poses and one which was intended to show the character hiding against a wall checking around a corner to make sure there's nothing waiting for him. These are the shape outlines:


I chose to use the one in the middle as I thought the line shape looked the most realistic as well as showing a character hiding would emphasise the horror element. Once this was choses I then chose the characters attire, and came up with a few alternatives: Prisoner uniform, general clothing, arctic explorer (2 types). These were inspired by the following images





 

Using these references I designed pencil outlines for the main character and came out with the following conclusions for further development



 Out of these designs I chose to develop both the general clothing (first image) and the second arctic image (last image, based on the first of the reference images). Both were fully coloured, however I cannot upload the general clothing one at this stage and will do it later. The image we decided on as a group however was the arctic uniform as it fits in with the scene.
 
In regards to drawing the heads and faces for the above image, I firstly looked into different facial expressions for characters, mainly emphasising tough characters but also looking into scared/shocked expression. I found images from many types of media and real life examples. Below are a few



Using some of these as general guides, I design a the face for a potential character, drawing 2 images based on both the tough guy image and the second on a fearful/suprised expression

Lastly, in another group discussion, we decided that a concept I came up with over the summer would be good for the mad scientist character after some tweaking, This is what I have at the moment
 
I think that this character looks good as is, but it would benifit from being touched up to make it fit the horror/mutation genre more, such as facial and bodily deformations, and will also need to be made to look older as he would have been in the facility since it was abandoned, which was many years before the setting of the game.
 
Will try and develop general enemies by the next blog post. Till then.

No comments:

Post a Comment